Church Matters

All Saints Church, Merton

Clergy: Rev. Martin Warren, Tel.: 01409 281424.

Rev. Susannah Metz, Tel.: 01837 810621.

Methodist: Rev. Nigel Coke-Woods, Tel.: 01837 810591.

For details of services please check the Merton Monthly (see tab above)

About the Church

The Church comprises Nave, Chancel, North Aisle, South Transept (Specott Aisle), Western Tower and South Porch. It dates back to 1261, although practically nothing remains of the original church except the Norman doorway and font. The Church was rebuilt in the 15th century, and restored in 1875. The Porch was added around 1840.

Notable things to see

Five bays down the church divide the Nave and North Aisle, with slender clustered granite columns, having small carved capitals decorated with primitive abaci and depressed pointed arches.

Western Tower. There are six bells in the tower, in the key of G. The oldest is believed to date from 1420, and the most recent from 1858. They were all re-hung in 2010, and re-dedicated by the Bishop of Crediton on October 10th 2010. The stained glass window depicts the Apostles Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Norman Font. Varies from others of its type on account of the masks that are carved, face upwards, on the plinth. The carved pyramid cover is Jacobean.